Today’s ham and cheese sandwich recipe was not planned, but was instead a delicious happenstance. Because this is one of my re-purpose recipes. I am re-purposing the delicious garlic and herb mozzarella balls I made a few days ago.
I made the mozzarella balls while Steve was on the road. Since there was no way I could eat them all, I started thinking about what I could do with what was left. The idea for this exact sandwich came to me, so I went to the store to get the other ingredients I needed. And I’m SO glad I did! The “ham” is prosciutto, and the cheese is represented both by the mozzarella balls as well as a lovely aged sharp cheddar. So technically this is a ham and cheese, just not the one your mama used to make.
I loved everything about this sandwich. French bread is deliciously crunch and chewy. And the sandwich fillings come together so well! Salty, creamy, sharp, tangy, herby and velvety, all at the same time. It’s just an amazing ham and cheese!
Making “not your mother’s” ham and cheese
I picked up the prosciutto fresh from the deli this morning, cut straight from the leg. I also purchased freshly baked French bread rolls from the bakery.
All I had to do when I got back from the store was…
…cut the French rolls into halves.
Spread mayonnaise on one half and Dijon mustard on the other.
First layer the cheddar, then the folds of prosciutto, and then top them with the garlic and herb mozzarella balls. I also drizzled some of the marinade from the mozzarella balls over the sandwich fillings.
Top the sandwich with the second half of the bread. And that is it!
Cut that baby in half and you get this beauty.
Just LOOK at those beautiful layers! The tang of the mustard as well as in the garlic and herbs. The sharpness of the cheddar. The velvety saltiness of the prosciutto. And the creaminess of the mozzarella and the mayo.
This one is going into the rotation, people! From now on, this lady will always make too much garlic and herb mozzarella balls with plans to re-purpose them into this amazing sandwich. I highly recommend you try it too!
Not Your Mother's Ham and Cheese
- 2 French bread sandwich rolls about 8 inches each
- 1/4 pound prosciutto very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or to taste
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard or to taste
- 6 slices aged sharp cheddar cheese
- 10-16 garlic and herb mozzarella balls with marinade
- Cut the French bread rolls into sandwich halves.
- For both sandwiches, spread the mayonnaise on one side of the bread and mustard on the other.
- Cover the bottom half with overlapping slices of sharp cheddar cheese.
- Divide the prosciutto in half and layers in loose folds over the slices of cheese.
- Place the mozzarella balls over the prosciutto, and drizzle with some of the garlic and herb marinade.
- Cover with the top half of bread. Cut in half and serve.
Leave a Reply