I made some southwest egg rolls a couple of weeks ago, and I decided that they would taste even better with some avocado ranch dressing to dip them into. I’d never made avocado ranch before, but I figured the name was self-explanatory, right? I’d make a batch of ranch, add some creamed avocado, and that would be it, right?
A few months ago, I just happened to read the nutrition label on the container of powdered ranch dressing I kept in my pantry. Imagine my surprise when I found out it contained MSG! Label reading is something I’m pretty good about doing, but I guess the powdered ranch mix had become so ubiquitous in our house, I never got around to it until that day. Now knowing it contains MSG, I feel a little iffy about continuing to use it.
But then I remembered a healthy ranch dressing recipe from a fellow blogger that I kept meaning to try, so I went to her web site for her recipe, which I then adapted slightly by adding chives and avocado.
I met Breeze from Little Feet Big Adventures at a blogging conference last October in Houston, TX. She had been blogging longer than I. I found Breeze to be such a font of helpful knowledge. She let me tag along with her for a lot of the conference, and we’ve stayed somewhat in touch since. I love Breeze’s ideas about parenting and travel, so check out her blog!
Back to the avocado ranch dressing…I was super happy with the results, so I thought I would share it with you!
let’s make some avocado ranch dressing
What I loved about Breeze’s recipe is that she uses yogurt instead of sour cream, and very little mayonnaise. I checked around online and found that yogurt only has about 1/3 of the calories of sour cream. And the ranch dressing from her recipe was delicious, so it had to make a great avocado ranch dressing, right?
I mixed everything but the avocado together until I had a tasty ranch dressing.
Then I cubed the avocado and creamed it in the food processor. When there were no solid avocado pieces anymore, I added the ranch dressing and pulsed until everything was incorporated.
Pretty color, huh?
Then I poured it into a jar and let it chill for a bit.
Light, creamy and herby, with a beautiful, velvety avocado flavor. Home run!
It was so delicious with the southwest egg rolls that I decided this avocado ranch dressing will be a great addition to the turkey fajita wraps I’m making next!
Healthy Avocado Ranch Dressing
- 8 fluid ounces plain yogurt full fat with no fillers
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon dry dill
- 1/2 teaspoon dry parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dry dry chives
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 5-6- ounce avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice optional
- In a small bowl, mix the first 8 ingredients to make the ranch dressing.
- Scoop the insides of the avocado onto a cutting board and cube into 1-inch pieces.
- Transfer the cubed avocado to the bowl of a food processor with the lemon juice (optional) and process until creamy.
- Add the prepared ranch dressing to the food processor bowl and pulse until the mixture is fully blended.
- Transfer to a re-sealable container and chill until ready to use.